Wednesday Workout Tips:
- Be Consistent.
- Follow an Effective Exercise Routine: The American Council on Exercise (ACE) recently surveyed 1,000 ACE-certified personal trainers about the best techniques to get fit. Their top three suggestions:
- Strength training - Even 20 minutes a day twice a week will help tone the entire body
- Interval training.
- Increased cardio/aerobic exercise.
- Set Realistic Goals: Don't strive for perfection or an improbable goal that can't be met, focus instead on increasing healthy behaviors
- Use the Buddy System: Find a friend or relative whom you like and trust who also wants to establish a healthier lifestyle
- Make Your Plan Fit Your Life: Too busy to get to the gym? If you've got floor space, try simple floor exercises to target areas such as the hips and buttocks, legs and thighs, and chest and arms (like push-ups, squats, and lunges). Aim for 10-12 repetitions of each exercise, adding more reps and intensity as you build strength.
- Be Happy: Be sure to pick an activity you actually enjoy doing, And choose something that is convenient. Rock climbing may be a great workout, but if you live in a city, it's not something you'll be doing every day.
- Watch the Clock: Your body clock, that is. Try to work out at the time you have the most energy. If you're a morning person, schedule your fitness activities early in the day; if you perk up as the day goes along, plan your activities in the afternoon or evening.
- Call In the Pros: Especially if you're first getting started. By getting a professional assessment, you can determine your weakest links and focus on them. This will improve your overall fitness balance.
- Get Inspired: Fitness is a state of mind. One trick to get and stay motivated is to read blogs or web sites that show him how others have been successful, ask "Who inspires you?"
- Be Patient: Finally, remember that even if you follow all these tips, there will be ups and downs, setbacks and victories. Hang in there, and you'll see solid results
(The Orthopedic Clinic Association)